Modme Forums

How to map texture for a model in APE?

Game Modding | Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 | Models & Animation

ModmeBot:

Thread By: badtumshie
Hi, I was trying to port a model from Halo 3. I have converted the model from 3dsmax to Maya and then to BO3 using Kronos. I have all of the normal maps, texture maps etc and have no problem setting them up in APE. But they become all screwed up, ie. the textures aren't mapped to the right places on the model. Images below: (anyone who hasn't played halo, this vehicle is called a wraith if you need to see what it is supposed to look like.)

The reason that the wraith is split into 2 seperate models is that they both have individual texture maps. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: DTZxPorter

badtumshie
Hi, I was trying to port a model from Halo 3. I have converted the model from 3dsmax to Maya and then to BO3 using Kronos. I have all of the normal maps, texture maps etc and have no problem setting them up in APE. But they become all screwed up, ie. the textures aren't mapped to the right places on the model. Images below: (anyone who hasn't played halo, this vehicle is called a wraith if you need to see what it is supposed to look like.) The reason that the wraith is split into 2 seperate models is that they both have individual texture maps. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Can you screenshot the TEXTURE view in Maya?

ModmeBot:

Reply By: badtumshie

DTZxPorter
badtumshie Hi, I was trying to port a model from Halo 3. I have converted the model from 3dsmax to Maya and then to BO3 using Kronos. I have all of the normal maps, texture maps etc and have no problem setting them up in APE. But they become all screwed up, ie. the textures aren't mapped to the right places on the model. Images below: (anyone who hasn't played halo, this vehicle is called a wraith if you need to see what it is supposed to look like.) The reason that the wraith is split into 2 seperate models is that they both have individual texture maps. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Can you screenshot the TEXTURE view in Maya?

Thanks for the quick response! I take it that this is what you meant:

The textures didn't carry across to Maya....I just thought that it could be fixed in APE after using the COD Tools to get the model. Here is a screenshot from what it looked like in 3dsMax:

Edit: Also, It might be worth mentioning that I have managed to port models from halo 4 before in a similar circumstance (no textures in maya) and the textures just mapped themselves correctly in APE without trouble.

ModmeBot:

I recommend opening the UV editor and checking, it's most likely messed up in maya, and no, you can't edit it in APE, you need to fix them in maya as well. What format are you using to go from 3DSMax - Maya

ModmeBot:

DTZxPorter
I recommend opening the UV editor and checking, it's most likely messed up in maya, and no, you can't edit it in APE, you need to fix them in maya as well. What format are you using to go from 3DSMax - Maya

Using .3DS. The textures appear to line up in UV Editor. Here are some screens:

So, what should I do? Should I map the textures to the model in Maya before exporting? Or should i Use a different format eg. FBX?

Edit: Ok, so I used .FBX and the textures carried across to Maya mapped correctly. But when I tried to export using CODMayaTools I got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/Users/badtumshie/Documents/maya/2014-x64/scripts\CoDMayaTools.py", line 3031, in GeneralWindow_ExportSelected
exec("response = %s(\"%s\")" % (OBJECT_NAMES[windowID][4], filePath))
File "<string>", line 1, in <module></module></string>
File "C:/Users/badtumshie/Documents/maya/2014-x64/scripts\CoDMayaTools.py", line 1160, in ExportXModel
shapes = GetShapes(joints)
File "C:/Users/badtumshie/Documents/maya/2014-x64/scripts\CoDMayaTools.py", line 1504, in GetShapes
polyIter.getUVs(Us, Vs)
File "c:\builds\maya-2014-w64\build\Release\runTime\Python\Lib\site-packages\maya\OpenMaya.py", line 8298, in getUVs
RuntimeError: (kInvalidParameter): No element at given index

I have had this error numerous times, and would be very grateful if you could tell me how I might go about solving it....it has led to me abandoning many model ports.

ModmeBot:

Does this model have multiple UV layers by chance?

ModmeBot:

I don't know....texture was only on one of the 4 quadrants of the UV browser (top right) if that means anything to you. Only the bottom half was selected (the main body), but I did notice that there were 2 sets of normal/colour map pairs. I'm away from my computer just now, but I'll update with pics tomorrow. Thanks again for helping...have a win for your trouble.