Modme Forums

Opinions on Infinite Warfare/Zombies in Spaceland

Modme | General

ModmeBot:

Thread By: Abnormal202
Hey, so infinite Warfare released yesterday and I've already bought it and played a bit. I just wanted to start a discussion to see how the custom zombies community feels about Infinite Warfare and the zombies gamemode.

My initial opinion is that Infinite Warfare is not as bad as I, and many other people, were expecting. Yes, it is set in a futuristic setting which most COD fans are tired of, and yes it does have an advanced movement system, but if you ask me, the game felt a lot like the modern warfare games. The average kill time (the usual time it takes to kill someone, from pulling the trigger to their death) has increased since Black Ops 3, and is a welcome change, as I don't feel like I'm going to die as soon as I spot and enemy. I've only played a little, but I can tell there are a lot of new features that we haven't seen before, such as the combat rig system. Yes it does have annoying supply drops which I strongly hate, but the system is a little bit better to the player because now the player can also earn scrap which lets them choose what they want to get, instead of always spinning the wheel of chance.

As for zombies, I was genuinely impressed. I've only played a little bit, but I can tell you its pretty close to Treyarch zombies. Zombies in Spaceland even has some features that many people wished for in Black Ops 3 but never got. For example, a bank that allows players to share points, an increased perk limit (only up to 5 now, but I believe there's a way to get more perk slots), and even a perk based on BANANA COLADA! So I think its foolish to say that the creators of Infinite warfare don't listen to their fans.

Overall I'm feeling much better about this game than I did seeing Advanced Warfare, or Ghosts for the first time, and I have some high hopes for it. Then again these are all just initial impressions, and the cool features could wear off quick. Only time will tell if this is a worthy game. Take it from someone who's played every single Call of Duty.

Leave your opinions in the comments below. If you hate the game, that's fine, but please provide an explanation rather than just saying its awful.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: Exofile

Abnormal202The average kill time (the usual time it takes to kill someone, from pulling the trigger to their death) has increased since Black Ops 3, and is a welcome change, as I don't feel like I'm going to die as soon as I spot and enemy.

In my opinion, a fast killtime is one of the core parts of Call of Duty. It's not like Battlefield and alike. It's a fastpaced shooter, where you need to think fast and don't take breaks.

Abnormal202Yes it does have annoying supply drops which I strongly hate, but the system is a little bit better to the player because now the player can also earn scrap which lets them choose what they want to get, instead of always spinning the wheel of chance.

If you ask me, no matter how they brand it, Supply Drops will always be purely for a higher income to the developers. Giving players various variants of weapons through purchase in the shape of supply-drops, crates or whatever god forsaken name they choose leans against a pay2win scenario. Yes, I am aware supply drops can be bought without paying your real money, but the truth is that those who decide to spend actual money to get it faster will often end up with the better "loot", isn't it?

Abnormal202So I think its foolish to say that the creators of Infinite warfare don't listen to their fans.

You mean listen to Treyarch's fans?

Abnormal202For example, a bank that allows players to share points, an increased perk limit (only up to 5 now, but I believe there's a way to get more perk slots)

The bank will be really hard to use with randoms, already removing a part of it's useability. The perklimit isn't really of a concern to me. 4 perks have always been enough to get what I NEEDED, having me choose carefully depending on my situation. Perhaps you need an extra perk slot as the perks themselves are less rewarding than 3arc had them? I don't know.

All in all, this is just as I had expected.

SP has a good story, which often is the case with Call of Duty.

MP is to many I know, including myself disappointing, and could be done better.

ZM feels far too arcady/tacky. "They tried too hard". They reuse the already known features of zombies, which one could defend by saying "Are the core of zombies", but they rename them and alter them to fit their own Arcade style, which I'm really not a fan of.

But of all, the worst part of IW I see is the response you get after speaking out about disliking it. IMMEDIATLY, you find a ton of those who enjoy it show up and often tell you about how your points are stupid, you're not getting it and/or more.

"You haven't played it yet? Then shut it, you're not allowed to comment on it!" Of course I am allowed to, It's up to me whether or not I want to pay money for something regardless of my views on it.

And although I shouldn't have to say this, I feel I need to as a wide aspect of the community tends to forget;

This is MY opinion on the game. I understand that other people disagree with them.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: Abnormal202

Exofile
Abnormal202Yes it does have annoying supply drops which I strongly hate, but the system is a little bit better to the player because now the player can also earn scrap which lets them choose what they want to get, instead of always spinning the wheel of chance.

If you ask me, no matter how they brand it, Supply Drops will always be purely for a higher income to the developers. Giving players various variants of weapons through purchase in the shape of supply-drops, crates or whatever god forsaken name they choose leans against a pay2win scenario. Yes, I am aware supply drops can be bought without paying your real money, but the truth is that those who decide to spend actual money to get it faster will often end up with the better "loot", isn't it?

I agree, Supply drops are horrible, a manifest of greed from a series with developers becoming more and more corrupt. I'm okay with the system when it only provides purely cosmetic items (overwatch loot boxes, for example) but as we all know, Call of Duty takes it too far and adds in better weapons and actual content into the loop. You earn supply drops very slowly, so it makes you want to pay real money. Then after paying money, you only have a very small chance at getting what you want, because of all the other crap and duplicates they throw in. Its a horrible system, but the truth is, we are going to see more and more of it the more idiots pay for the darn things. So no, having a scrap system does not excuse Infinite Warfare, and I am fully aware that this system is broken.

ModmeBot:

Abnormal202I agree, Supply drops are horrible, a manifest of greed from a series with developers becoming more and more corrupt. I'm okay with the system when it only provides purely cosmetic items (overwatch loot boxes, for example) but as we all know, Call of Duty takes it too far and adds in better weapons and actual content into the loop. You earn supply drops very slowly, so it makes you want to pay real money. Then after paying money, you only have a very small chance at getting what you want, because of all the other crap and duplicates they throw in. Its a horrible system, but the truth is, we are going to see more and more of it the more idiots pay for the darn things. So no, having a scrap system does not excuse Infinite Warfare, and I am fully aware that this system is broken.

And we sit here asking ourselves why the hell people are buying this crap, but we forget that the majority of the playerbase for Call of Duty isn't here on a site for Modding.

One could say it's the 10 year olds with their mother's credit card, but that's too cheap of a solution for me. Personally, I find it more reasonable to state that their income comes from everyone. You can see the Youtubers and streamers that buy a heapton of supply x to have these "openings", and you can see the occasional individuals that buy one every now and then, "Just one more, I really want that new weapon!".

It's depressing, but it's nothing new in the world of marketing, just new to us players that were here before it became a thing in the videogame industry, or atleast as widespread as we find it today.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: MAK911
I didn't play the campaign and only 2 bad matches of MP, so I won't offer opinions on that. But ZIS!? It is deceptively good. You look at it and say,"There's no way that will stay good after 20 minutes" or "that's only funny once," but, in truth, a lot of it does stay fresh the entire time. I played to scene 20 twice with Hitman today and not once did I become genuinely mad like I do with any other game (just ask jammy and ege how I feel about Gorod). I went down a lot (to the point where I couldn't get more self-revives), but I never once felt sour about it or got mad as I always felt I could get myself out of death and still play. While people think you can just go down and fuck off in the arcade for a round or 2 and make others deal with the zombies, you actually try to play the games as good and as fast as you can just so you can get back before the guy outside dies. ZIS! stayed consistently fun, unlike any 3arc map, and it played to the gimmicks. This map didn't try to be more than a gimmick and it shows in the best ways with some golden quotes sprinkled among shit,"I should do this" quotes and the best stupid shit you could imagine. Is it hard? Not at the start, but it progressively gets more difficult as the zombies do run and they jump from almost anywhere along with a big boy boss and evil bumper cars (Hitman went down from the bumper cars after trying to get me up when I got down from them XD). This map is unlike anything 3arc ever made as it is absolutely great and enjoyable. Many people call it pandering, but what's wrong with that? It feels like it, but you enjoy it so much you don't care. The coins are nice challenges with awesome rewards and are WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the fucking ZNS plants so don't even begin to compare them. The lunge knifing is the only concern I have with ZIS! and hopefully they do something about it, but I don't mind so much as it still has some cool personal melee weapons. 5 perks is much better than the 4 perk crap as it recognizes that you WILL buy tuff n' nuff so you still have options, of which there are a lot. It gives a freedom instead of feeling locked in place as almost everyone ALWAYS bought DT, Jugg, Speed, and some random fourth that is the only one that can cater to your weapon, whereas the five allows for a personal defense perk on top of that like the Bomb perk or the EC knockoff. The music? Just fucking amazing selection. Jamming out to "Relax" and "It's the End of the World" is just fucking amazing and this is the first time I've wanted to listen to the music since Cash's "Rusty Cage." On the outside, this all looks bad, I'm sure, to some people. This is genuinely 100% something you have to try as it did look stupid to me at first, but you come to realize this is just the stupid zombies really is and should have always been.

ModmeBot:

MAK911This is genuinely 100% something you have to try as it did look stupid to me at first, but you come to realize this is just the stupid zombies really is and should have always been.

Always should've been? I felt that Black Ops I did an amazing job at capturing the fun, yet seriousness you found yourself in. It was more "arcade" in the sense that you didn't focus as much on EE as you do now in Black Ops III (Which seems to be the ONLY game in the series people even compare IW ZM to, what?)

Glad to hear that some are enjoying the game however, as it'd be a proper letdown if it had a massive widespread dislike in the community.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: MAK911

Exofile
MAK911This is genuinely 100% something you have to try as it did look stupid to me at first, but you come to realize this is just the stupid zombies really is and should have always been.

Always should've been? I felt that Black Ops I did an amazing job at capturing the fun, yet seriousness you found yourself in. It was more "arcade" in the sense that you didn't focus as much on EE as you do now in Black Ops III (Which seems to be the ONLY game in the series people even compare IW ZM to, what?)

Glad to hear that some are enjoying the game however, as it'd be a proper letdown if it had a massive widespread dislike in the community.

I'd describe ZIS! as the "20 year long marriage leading to divorce because it turns out he's gay" guy towards the ideas it presents. It feels like the letting out of repressed ideas since BO2 when they started going too serious. BO1, I will admit, was just a fun sort of experience but always took itself a little too serious as this major story-driven plot. There always has to be a reason for something and all these little EEs and crap. It drove itself away from being pure, plain stupid fun. They brought aspects of it in, but it became this tedious drag-your-knuckles, nitty-gritty shit after awhile. I describe 3arc zombies as only good for MAKING fun, not having fun. You don't seem to have genuinely fun or funny experiences alone and it just becomes trains until you kill yourself on high rounds and EEs just seem like a distraction from the never-ending pointless existence you face. ZIS! says,"yeah, may be pointless, but you can have fun while you're at it!" and throws in these other things that are and stay genuinely fun and funny that are hard to accomplish. It doesn't dull down is what I'm saying. I can't think of any moment while I was playing with my m8s where we weren't talking, laughing, or crying in the corner when we saw clowns (in hitman and my case). It stayed interesting and we stayed interested as the map seemed to change each time we played in just minor ways. I went on 6 playthroughs of this damn map just today (3 of which to about Scene 23) and each time I swear the music changed and I kept finding new things out. What really builds up this compared to 3arc is the focus. 3arc clearly focuses on the big picture as it tries to create a story and give each thing meaning and explain everything. IW, on the other hand, focuses on the little things that build up to make the bigger picture (personal anims and melees being my favorite of which). There's no coherence, no rules, no restrictions that you can't beat and you aren't torturing yourself because you believe that's how you make it "fun." Along with this, each thing people pointed out as bad is optional in almost every way! You can play ZIS! completely like a 3arc map no problem. It has all those aspects that we know and love at its core, but the stuff built on top is really succulent meat that you can't help but take a bite out of. I just think ZIS! is the other way zombies could've gone (which they sort of acknowledged with Dead Ops Arcade): no plot-driven story, just stupid shit you can use to obliterate a zombie in any way imaginable (and ZIS! covers a lot of ways to kill a zombie).

I do truly hope you try it because I want people to experience this just amazing fun, but I'm not gonna force you to try it. I just hope you give it a try some time and you can return it on steam if it really isn't your cup of tea.

ModmeBot:

From the day I heard of it being themed around the 80's, I had a feeling it'd be a straight out arcade game. Which I suppose it has fully become. Some people enjoy it, some people don't. Personally I don't find much joy in such "sillyness" anymore, pardon my expression. But I'm an odd-one-out in a sense, so I'd say that I'm not like the normies!

At this time in my life I much prefer a seriousness in games. Recently I bought The Division, and later the seasonpass after 3 days of owning the game, as I fell in love with it. The seriousness of the situation you find helps me escape life. It's like reading a book to some people, you get to be someone else. Which I'd much rather be.

MAK911I do truly hope you try it because I want people to experience this just amazing fun, but I'm not gonna force you to try it. I just hope you give it a try some time and you can return it on steam if it really isn't your cup of tea.

• I'm poor

• I'm very poor

• Did I mention me being poor?

On a serious note, I won't be getting it until it's at sale for $20. Partially because I'm poor, but also mostly because I don't feel like spending alot of money on a game I might not enjoy playing, and my current state leans towards me not liking it. (Although I am aware it could happen that I'd switch over after trying it).

Maybe one day I'll get it for the same Reason I got Ghosts. The only reason I got Ghosts. Assets