Modme Forums

exporting COD4 buildings and maps

Game Modding | General

bobmorane:

Hi
I wanna export buildings from COD4 maps as .fbx or .obj with materials and textures attached . how can i do it ?
Which tools i must to use and where i can find step by step tutorials ? pleas help .
Thanks.

Dundy:

Basically you got to import the x-model into a 3d program like maya or blender then export it as a .fbx or .obj.
No expert but this how I did it from .fbx to x-model.
If it not a x-model but caulk made building then I am not shure..

bobmorane:

Basically you got to import the x-model into a 3d program like maya or blender then export it as a .fbx or .obj.
No expert but this how I did it from .fbx to x-model.
If it not a x-model but caulk made building then I am not shure..

thanks but it seems the buildings is prefab consist of from other models and thoes wasn't x-model objects .

Dundy:

You could try to contact RaGe-74 he knows how to export geo/maps into models..

RaGe-74:

Maps can only be made into OBJ \ FBX via NINJARIPPER (old method now and only supports up to DX11), Husky and C2M. (both of which output to OBJ files).
There is no easy method into making sections of it usable xmodels..although it CAN be done (and yes i've done it).
The method to do it is long and tedious, it requires going into blender (latest version) and deleting all the vertices that aren't needed, exporting what's left to a new OBJ, putting it into a plugin in by HUGO in max 2013, and re-exporting as an xmodel (the blender plugin does not export properly).
THEN you need to convert it to xmodel_bin with Porters tool to over ride tri limit, then set up all the materials in APE\ASSMAN so it works in game.
You will also need to put a collision brush on every traversable part of the xmodel so the player does not move through it, and so bullet collision generates the correct sound and effect.
The time involved to make a map an xmodel (or multiple), versus just recreating it in brushes, just isn't worth it. Just use the map rippers to make a template(s), and build on top of it with brushes. That's the easiest, quickest way, and that's how i've done a couple of maps now.
I simply could not be bothered doing an instructional video on how to do it for mod tools that are well and truly past their use-by date, but I hope this has been helpful.

bobmorane:

Maps can only be made into OBJ \ FBX via NINJARIPPER (old method now and only supports up to DX11), Husky and C2M. (both of which output to OBJ files).

Thanks . yes its tricky and hard .also with Husky can export map as .obj and with C2M can export same map's textures . but the most maps consist of many small piece that groped in several batches and used in all of buildings . whether exporting a special building is very long and tedious because i have to break up those batches .

RaGe-74:

Thanks . yes its tricky and hard .also with Husky can export map as .obj and with C2M can export same map's textures . but the most maps consist of many small piece that groped in several batches and used in all of buildings . whether exporting a special building is very long and tedious because i have to break up those batches .

You can break it up into sections, but you need to go into "edit" mode in blender, and select vertices only. Then you invert the selection, press delete, and save whats left as a new OBJ. (don't use save selection, it doesn't work properly).
Once it's saved, press undo twice, delete the piece you saved, and do the next piece. Over and over until you have all the pieces.