Modme Forums

Floating debris on reactive water

Game Modding | Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 | Radiant

gunrock12:

Anyone know how to make Dynamic models float on reactive water? on the custom zombie map
nightmare there was a part where they had a alligator in the water and a xmodel of a p7_spl_animal_floatie_duck
floating on top of the water.

Harry Bo21:

Place it over the water and make sure you pick “dynamic model” not “misc model”

The model likely needs a physics preset ( and maybe a physics constraint set )

The water needs to be set up as proper water too

Sleepy216:

Place it over the water and make sure you pick “dynamic model” not “misc model”

The model likely needs a physics preset ( and maybe a physics constraint set )

The water needs to be set up as proper water too

Could you tell me the proper way to do water?
Currently I'm using wave/water from the entity browser, and a water_clip the same size. Is that the right way?
I noticed that in Splash, the mp map, the ball physreset makes ents float in water. However giving a dynamic model the same physpreset didn't make it float. I also tried making my own prop, definitely not the correct way, and the same thing happened with it. It just sinks to the bottom when hit, or starts at the bottom if you start with it active.
That would lead me to believe my water is not set up right. However I can't seem to find many discussions about water in bo3.

gunrock12:

Yeah i tried the same setup, got the same results as you Sleepy216o_O will continue to fool with it see if i can
get it to work.

Sleepy216:

Yeah i tried the same setup, got the same results as you Sleepy216o_O will continue to fool with it see if i can
get it to work.

Good luck! When I saw your post I thought, "oh this will be easy" 6 hours of slamming my head against the wall proved otherwise lmao.
If I figure it out I'll make sure to post the solution

zeroy:

Dynamic model needs to have a "floating" physic preset - can be created easily but I think there should be one in tools already - Wave Water entity does indeed need to be setup correctly but the crucial element is the following dvar "phys_buoyancy" and function which enables the dynamic response to water for models:

level thread setup_water_physics();

function setup_water_physics()
{
    level flag::wait_till("start_zombie_round_logic");
    SetDvar("phys_buoyancy", 1);
}

Note that this can be costly on FPS if large surface - as is the Wave Water entity

Sleepy216:

Dynamic model needs to have a "floating" physic preset - can be created easily but I think there should be one in tools already - Wave Water entity does indeed need to be setup correctly but the crucial element is the following dvar "phys_buoyancy" and function which enables the dynamic response to water for models:

level thread setup_water_physics();

function setup_water_physics()
{
    level flag::wait_till("start_zombie_round_logic");
    SetDvar("phys_buoyancy", 1);
}

Note that this can be costly on FPS if large surface - as is the Wave Water entity

You are a legend, thank you so much. Thanks for the amazing map as well, you all did an outstanding job!

gunrock12:

I would have never figured that out on my own!!! Thought i would have to keep messing around with the dynamic model options, very thankful for this!