Modme Forums

Terrain “Noise” like in CoD:WWII?

Game Modding | Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 | Radiant

ModmeBot:

Thread By: Wild
Hello, while playing CoD:WWII I noticed something interesting about the terrain. A lot of it looks very dug up and destroyed as if it had a lot of noise added to it. A different way of explaining it would be that it looks like they made a patch and within a very small area such as a 64x64 area, the patch has like 100 verts and they're just slightly different heights to make a very rugged looking terrain. Here is an example:

I was playing around with the noise option in the advanced patch editing tool and noticed that instead of making a pattern like the image above, it just kind of warped the patch to make it a random shape, but overall it stayed smooth the entire time. My question is how to you use the advanced patch editing tool to get the same effect as in the terrain in CoD:WWII?

Also, before you say that it's a model and not patches, this is literally how 90% of CoD:WWII's terrain looks and it doesn't blend "pretty good" with the surrounding areas like most models do, it blends 100% perfect with the surrounding areas. I know that doesn't rule out the fact that it's a model but let's be real, I doubt they modeled 90% of the terrain and then just went in and detailed it with textures and stuff.

So yeah, how do you do this with patches? And if it's not patches then what is it, because I certainly don't think it's all models as I mentioned before but who knows, maybe it is xD

ModmeBot:

Reply By: Scobalula

Wild
Hello, while playing CoD:WWII I noticed something interesting about the terrain. A lot of it looks very dug up and destroyed as if it had a lot of noise added to it. A different way of explaining it would be that it looks like they made a patch and within a very small area such as a 64x64 area, the patch has like 100 verts and they're just slightly different heights to make a very rugged looking terrain. Here is an example: I was playing around with the noise option in the advanced patch editing tool and noticed that instead of making a pattern like the image above, it just kind of warped the patch to make it a random shape, but overall it stayed smooth the entire time. My question is how to you use the advanced patch editing tool to get the same effect as in the terrain in CoD:WWII? Also, before you say that it's a model and not patches, this is literally how 90% of CoD:WWII's terrain looks and it doesn't blend "pretty good" with the surrounding areas like most models do, it blends 100% perfect with the surrounding areas. I know that doesn't rule out the fact that it's a model but let's be real, I doubt they modeled 90% of the terrain and then just went in and detailed it with textures and stuff. So yeah, how do you do this with patches? And if it's not patches then what is it, because I certainly don't think it's all models as I mentioned before but who knows, maybe it is xD

They're using tessellation, which IW/Sledge have been doing since Ghosts, I don't think Bo3 supports this.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: Wild

Scobalula
Wild Hello, while playing CoD:WWII I noticed something interesting about the terrain. A lot of it looks very dug up and destroyed as if it had a lot of noise added to it. A different way of explaining it would be that it looks like they made a patch and within a very small area such as a 64x64 area, the patch has like 100 verts and they're just slightly different heights to make a very rugged looking terrain. Here is an example: I was playing around with the noise option in the advanced patch editing tool and noticed that instead of making a pattern like the image above, it just kind of warped the patch to make it a random shape, but overall it stayed smooth the entire time. My question is how to you use the advanced patch editing tool to get the same effect as in the terrain in CoD:WWII? Also, before you say that it's a model and not patches, this is literally how 90% of CoD:WWII's terrain looks and it doesn't blend "pretty good" with the surrounding areas like most models do, it blends 100% perfect with the surrounding areas. I know that doesn't rule out the fact that it's a model but let's be real, I doubt they modeled 90% of the terrain and then just went in and detailed it with textures and stuff. So yeah, how do you do this with patches? And if it's not patches then what is it, because I certainly don't think it's all models as I mentioned before but who knows, maybe it is xD They're using tessellation, which IW/Sledge have been doing since Ghosts, I don't think Bo3 supports this.

That's a shame. I wish we could use it haha