Modme Forums

how do i write scripts?

Game Modding | Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 | Scripting

ModmeBot:

Thread By: MrslothGaming
i want learn how to learn scripts so i dont have to wait until some body releases a script that i want but i have no clue what im doing and i would love some help please.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: Abnormal202
scripting is essentially coding, where the game will read off the script and execute whatever commands you put in there when you say it should. For this reason scripting can get very complicated and can be very hard to learn for some people. Personally it took me a while to learn basic GSC scripting, and I would still consider myself a novice. Now I learned scripting for COD WAW, using videos from tutorial series like:

and

Keep in mind these are for COD WaW though, and the scripting has changed slightly. Here's a page listing all the changes that might help.

I'm sure there will be more tutorials for Bo3 scripting in the future, but for now this is all I've got.

If you have any basic questions I may be able to answer them.

If you have any very specific questions about scripting that a video tutorial may not cover, feel free to post it on the forums and someone may come and help where others cannot.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: natesmithzombies
I could never learn through videos, they are often a waste of time and hard to reference later. I wrote this guide for people to reference. It is aimed at people who have never scripted ever before

ModmeBot:

Reply By: Abnormal202

natesmithzombiesI could never learn through videos, they are often a waste of time and hard to reference later. I wrote this guide for people to reference. It is aimed at people who have never scripted ever before

That's a very nice guide, i read the whole thing and I'm sure I will reference it later. I recommend newer scripters look at the guide first, but if its too confusing try a video tutorial because they are slower-paced and can sometimes help in ways words cannot. also for finding the list of engine functions its worth mentioning that you can get to them in your modtools folder through ROOT\docs_modtools\bo3_scriptapifunctions.htm. I do wish someone would organize these in an easier to find and read manner like they did with the WaW functions in this.

Thanks for the tutorial though, I'm sure it will help a lot of people and I can't wait to see what else you do for the community.

EDIT (One quick thing I noticed when I was looking at the tutorial: It doesn't mention how to call functions in other scripts and include scripts from other files. I feel like this might be helpful because new scripters might be able to write a script, but not know how to actually include it in the game. Just a suggestion.)

ModmeBot:

Reply By: DTZxPorter

Abnormal202I do wish someone would organize these in an easier to find and read manner like they did with the WaW functions

Soon. :)