Modme Forums

Removing objects when a player activates a button…

Game Modding | Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 | Scripting

ModmeBot:

Thread By: XxRaPiDK3LLERxX

Hey, everyone!

I want to add a button in my map (Which I did) which removes object when it's activated by the player. The whole point of this is because my map tbh isn't really optimised due to so many duplicates of grass which I managed to lower down.

But then I noticed that trees are eating some chunk of FPS and judging from other people's video of the map, they getting terrible performance.

Thanks!

ModmeBot:

Reply By: Abnormal202

In script:

in your main function, paste this:

//Delete Models
level thread model_delete();

Then at the bottom of the yourmapname.GSC paste this:

function delete_models()
{
	models = GetEntArray( "delete_model", "targetname");
	trig = GetEnt( "button", "targetname");
	trig SetHintString( "Press and Hold [use] to delete models (helps FPS)" )
	trig waittill( "trigger", player);
	trig Delete();
	models Delete();
}

I personally have barely had any experience with arrays, and I haven't tested this script, so if this doesn't work, tell me.

Now in radiant:

1. select all the models you want to delete and make them script_models.

2. Give all the models the KVP: Targetname: delete_model

3. select or create a trigger_use over the "button" and give it the KVP: Targetname: button

4. Compile and link your map.

also feel free to change the hintstring in the second part of the script.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: XxRaPiDK3LLERxX

Abnormal202

In script:

//Delete Models

function delete_models()
{
	trig Delete();
	models Delete();
}

I personally have barely had any experience with arrays, and I haven't tested this script, so if this doesn't work, tell me.

Now in radiant:

3. select or create a trigger_use over the "button" and give it the KVP: Targetname: button

Thanks for the script and the instructions! This error appear which I have no clue how to solve :|

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

^1ERR(0) scripts/zm/zm_lostforest.gsc (433,14) in "delete_models()" : syntax error, unexpected TOKEN_WAITTILL, expecting TOKEN_LEFT_PAREN : trig waittill

Thanks again!

ModmeBot:

Reply By: Dan9977

XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Abnormal202

In script:

//Delete Models

function delete_models()
{
	trig Delete();
	models Delete();
}

Now in radiant:

Thanks for the script and the instructions! This error appear which I have no clue how to solve :|

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

^1ERR(0) scripts/zm/zm_lostforest.gsc (433,14) in "delete_models()" : syntax error, unexpected TOKEN_WAITTILL, expecting TOKEN_LEFT_PAREN : trig waittill

Thanks again!

put a ; at the end of the SetHintString line

ModmeBot:

Dan9977
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Abnormal202

In script:

//Delete Modelslevel thread model_delete();

function delete_models(){ models = GetEntArray( "delete_model", "targetname"); trig = GetEnt( "button", "targetname"); trig SetHintString( "Press and Hold [use] to delete models (helps FPS)" ) trig waittill( "trigger", player); trig Delete(); models Delete();}

Now in radiant:

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately this comes up:

**** 1 script error(s):

"model_delete" with 0 parameters in "scripts/zm/zm_115_experiment_factory.gsc" at line 77 ****

**** Unresolved external "model_delete" with 0 parameters in "scripts/zm/zm_115_experiment_factory.gsc" ****

So I had to replace level thread model_delete(); with level thread delete_models();

So I tried this in-game, however, the hint string does not appear, and when you actually press the button to activate it, it does nothing.

Edit:

Now the hintstring works but when I use it, the tree does not get deleted.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: natesmithzombies

XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Dan9977
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Abnormal202

In script:

function delete_models(){ models = GetEntArray( "delete_model", "targetname"); trig = GetEnt( "button", "targetname"); trig SetHintString( "Press and Hold [use] to delete models (helps FPS)" ) trig waittill( "trigger", player); trig Delete(); models Delete();}

Now in radiant:

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

Thanks again!

**** 1 script error(s):

"model_delete" with 0 parameters in "scripts/zm/zm_115_experiment_factory.gsc" at line 77 ****

**** Unresolved external "model_delete" with 0 parameters in "scripts/zm/zm_115_experiment_factory.gsc" ****

So I had to replace level thread model_delete(); with level thread delete_models();

So I tried this in-game, however, the hint string does not appear, and when you actually press the button to activate it, it does nothing.

Edit:

That is because he treated an array of entities like an entity. This is how I would modify his code for a better result:

function delete_models()
{
	trig SetHintString( "Press and Hold ^3&&1^7 to delete models (helps FPS)" ); 
	trig Delete();
	foreach( model in models )
		model Delete();
}

ModmeBot:

natesmithzombies
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Dan9977
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Abnormal202

In script:

Now in radiant:

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

Thanks again!

**** 1 script error(s):

Edit:

That is because he treated an array of entities like an entity. This is how I would modify his code for a better result:

function delete_models()
{
	trig Delete();
		model Delete();
}

I should have known I couldn't delete an array like that! I forgot that foreach existed.

ModmeBot:

Reply By: natesmithzombies

Abnormal202
natesmithzombies
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Dan9977
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Abnormal202

In script:

Now in radiant:

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

Thanks again!

**** 1 script error(s):

Edit:

function delete_models()
{
	trig Delete();
		model Delete();
}

I should have known I couldn't delete an array like that! I forgot that foreach existed.

alternatively you can use a normal for loop. foreach can not always replace a normal for, but it is rare that you would need to use a normal for. Nice work though!

ModmeBot:

natesmithzombies
Abnormal202
natesmithzombies
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Dan9977
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Abnormal202

In script:

Now in radiant:

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

Thanks again!

**** 1 script error(s):

Edit:

function delete_models()
{
	trig Delete();
		model Delete();
}

alternatively you can use a normal for loop. foreach can not always replace a normal for, but it is rare that you would need to use a normal for. Nice work though!

Thanks a lot both of you! It worked magnificently! But now the clips are there.

Gave you both a *win*

ModmeBot:

XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
natesmithzombies
Abnormal202
natesmithzombies
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Dan9977
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Abnormal202

In script:

Now in radiant:

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

Thanks again!

**** 1 script error(s):

Edit:

function delete_models()
{
	trig Delete();
		model Delete();
}

Gave you both a *win*

Oh just make the clips script_brushmodels and give them the KVP: Targetname: delete_model as well.

ModmeBot:

Abnormal202
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
natesmithzombies
Abnormal202
natesmithzombies
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Dan9977
XxRaPiDK3LLERxX
Abnormal202

In script:

Now in radiant:

^1 trig waittill

^1-------------^

Thanks again!

**** 1 script error(s):

Edit:

function delete_models()
{
	trig Delete();
		model Delete();
}

Gave you both a *win*

Oh just make the clips script_brushmodels and give them the KVP: Targetname: delete_model as well.

Thanks for answering me issue, I can confirm this is now solved :)

Thanks again both of you, when my map gets public, I'll make sure you both get credited!